Friday, May 11, 2007

Finally, Friday!


Ahhh...caffeine. I love you. Only in the mornings, but I have come to cherish our mornings together. Just the right start to my day....

So I was going to post this yesterday, but I had too much shit to do, and Jayk being ever so kind as to keep reminding me of all the shit I had to do to keep me focused. Well Jayk is at work this morning, so I can sneak this one in...

Pet Peeve #208:

So it never ceases to amaze me when I find or rediscover a new thing that annoys the shit out of me. Stupid people are everywhere. There is no escaping them. They annoy the hell out of me. The fact that stupid people are everywhere is not my rediscovery because I deal with ignorant people all day long at work.

Yesterday was no exception. I spoke with a customer who had the intelligence of my pen and the confidence of a morbidly obese woman in a g-string bikini. I notice that this particular annoyance bothers me when I'm watching TV too, especially when a newscaster does it. And here it is folks:

Customer: "I uhhh....would like to uhhhh...know why my bills is so uhhhh.... high? Uhhhh...it wasn't so high last month. Uhhhh... I know that I uhhhh..... went on vacation and uhhhh.... I used the phone a little bit more than I uhhhh... usually do, but uhhhh... I don't think that this is correct." (I am not exaggerating; this is how this customer was speaking to me.)

Newscaster: "Well Chuck, uhh...I'm not quite sure why the bus driver was drunk, but I uhhh...do know that this is just a tragedy. Back to you, Chuck."

Now newscasters don't USUALLY do it as much as normal people, but either way it drives me INSANE! I so badly want to yell at the top of my lungs at people with whom I talk to, "JUST SPIT IT OUT!" Lucky for me when I'm watching TV and this happens, I can just hit a button and the annoyance disappears. But when I'm at work, oh no, I have to suffer through it! Do you know that conversations with people like this average about 20 minutes and usually only about one small, simple topic? I've actually clocked this on my phone when I talk to them. I have stats to worry about and usually there are about 30 other customers that are waiting to talk to me.

I know that there are a lot of people with speech impediments, but this rant does not apply to them. I can deal with stuttering, or any handicap. For them, I have all of the patience in the world. I actually really enjoy helping those customers. They are so grateful and happy that they called in and got the service they deserve and that I treat them like people; not like people with handicaps.

But when what seems to be a normal person or a newscaster does it, it makes whoever is speaking generally sound unintelligent and completely oblivious to what they are talking about. It also makes me think that they don't actually think before they speak, or if they do, they intentionally put the "uhhhhs" in there for effect...or just to piss me off. I can't decide.

Ahh...another sip of my sweet caffeine... Happy Friday everyone!

7 comments:

the Book of Keira said...

Lord. My brother does this and it drives me nuts.

Mmmm.... caffeine!

Rocketstar said...

The number one rule of public speaking is to not say "uuuhhhhh" or "uuummm", just don't say anything. It's easier said then done but I am getting better at it.

I agree that I also get annoyed when people have a hard time articluating thier thoughts. I am very impatient.

Colette said...

Rocket, I know you get annoyed with it too. As a matter of fact, I think I inheireted this adult annoyance from you. I say this, because you used to drill that into my head when I was a kid. You used to be like "What? Aren't you sure? Why do you keep saying uhh?" whenever I was trying to tell you something. ;)

I know we all do it at times, but when it's a habit, it is ridiculous.

I agree: "The number one rule of public speaking is to not say "uuuhhhhh" or "uuummm", just don't say anything. "

108:MMM..I finished the coffee..it was fabulous. uhhh...I uhhh need to uhhh get more! LOL! Just kidding!

Brianinmpls said...

uhhhh this is a great uhhhh post..lol Do you want to whip me now?

Colette said...

Brian: Something tells me you'd enjoy that too much...LOL!

Mags said...

Oh honey, I'm with you on this one! An occasional "Um" in there is ok, but the ones who use it ALL OF THE TIME without even knowing it? They don't deserve tongues.

I feel for you being on the phones. It used to drive me NUTS.

Colette said...

Mags: Thanks for the support! =) I usually like my job, but when I come across people with the "uhhs" and "umms" my blood pressure begins to rise..lol