Saturday, March 15, 2008

One of my FAVORITE things....

I used to be terrified of thunderstorms as a child, and remember many a time when I would cry to my mom that daddy shouldn't be leaving during the storm. Whether my dad loves thuderstorms as much as I do now or if it was just he wanted to get out of the house, I can now as an adult relate to his passion of thunderstorms. My dad showed me how to appreciate them and kind of study them as a hobby.

He cured my fears of thunderstorms one summer eve by driving me down to his work and taking me up on the roof during one. My mom probably wanted to murder him, but to me it was one of the very first times (at least that I can remember) I've ever felt that close to my dad. It was "our" moment. Just him, me, and the sky. It took a while for my dad and I to have the relationship we do now for reasons I could not begin to list in this blog, but thunderstorms are a very special way for me to tie memories to him, friends, families, moments, and most of all home.




What is it about thunderstorms that excites people? Especially me? I wonder if it is the unrelenting power of Mother Nature and the threat that it could all come crashing down just like the thunder does as the clouds roll in. I love the way it smells right before the rain, and I'm always half mesmerized at how still everything gets right before the sky opens up and lashes out at us. This picture above reminds me of staying at a friends house on Lake Minnetonka and watching a good one.




I mean look at that. Currently we are under a tornado warning, and when some would be worried, I am tempted to go for a walk down the middle of my street and look for one. I just love the power of it. When I was a teenager, my best friend and I would hear of a severe weather warning we'd hop in her Pontiac Sunfire with a bunch of our favorite tunes and go try to find the worst part of the storm. I love how this pic shows the city line. Makes me think of home, and how the skyline looks there during a storm.




There's something amazing and indescribable about a good storm. Usually whenever a sever thunderstorm/tornado warning hits this area, I get let down and it's a barely-there one or none at all. Tonight I wait for 35 more minutes until the warning is up, and I'm anxious. Something big is stirring not only outside, but somewhere inside of me. I just have to figure out how to let it all out......I wonder if Mother Nature feels like I do, just ready to unleash everything to just let it go...Oh how I love the rain...

3 comments:

Brianinmpls said...

I love storms too. There is a deck in Wisconsin that looks out over a series of rolling hills. There is nothing quite like sitting on that deck and watching a storm roll in.

I bet it scares the people who own the house that I watch storms from there but they are usually ties up in the basement so it shouldn't bother them too much...

Rocketstar said...

Yep he was a storm watcher. I think it is the wonder, mystery and danger.

the Book of Keira said...

Oh, storms are my favorite. I miss Florida so much because we had the best lightning there. Here it just sort of rains a bit...lol.