Monday, August 27, 2007

Finally Some Light at the End of My Tunnel!

I'm scared, nervous, anxious, excited, and a little stressed out. I've done it. All I have to do is fax in my paperwork, and I will be on the path. I have decided to jump ship on my associates in business administration and will have my associates in human services management between October and December of 08!

After a long talk with my academic counselor who completely rocks, I have decided to enter the world of student loans, the pursuit of knowledge, and hopefully fulfillment and happiness in a degree that I am actually interested in. Better yet, there is only one class I've taken so far that MAY not transfer to my new associates, and that's only an added 9 weeks and one class...a small price to pay for achieving a goal I actually have a passion for.

And for once, I don't feel like I'm doing something too late. I am only 26 almost 27 years old and I don't want to wait 5 years from now to go back and then try to get in the field I want, only to sign for student loans at an older age. I want to enter this field. I haven't decided what position, but after researching the field and the careers in it, I feel confident that I have found my niche.

I like helping people. I always have. Sure customer service is a form of helping someone, providing services is helping someone, and that's fine. But I want more than just helping someone. I want to make a difference in someones life for the better. I want to be a success story to those that I help. I want to set an example for my child that it is OK to follow your dream and do what you WANT to do and not what you HAVE to do to get by.

I know that it is a tough field and the higher paying jobs require more of an education, but I have no problem with gaining knowledge. I can stay at Verizon Wireless until I finish my associates. Then I will continue to stay there until I can enter my field and still pay my bills. One year. That's it. That's all it will take, and as I've learned over the course of my life and especially this past year, one year flies by.

I know I will still want to slit my wrists when the alarm goes off at 5am tomorrow morning knowing I have to go back to the dungeon, but at least now I have more of a drive and a small light at the end of a year long tunnel. For now, that's enough for me.

4 comments:

Maggie Moo said...

I truly believe that you are making a fantastic decision-you are going to excel. I'm so proud of you for making this leap...

Rocketstar said...

So let me get this straight. Once you get your asscoiates you can obtain a position in himna services? Am I reading that correctly?

Ok, I have to be me for one second... So before you get into student loans, you need to make 150% sure that you will finish the education otherwise those student loans will be a huge burden for a long time.

So congrats Colette, I am glad to see that you are starting to find a path for yourself and I know you can do it, that I have no doubt in.

Colette said...

Brian and Mags: Thank you!

Rocket: I expected you to be you. :) I may or may not be able to enter the field after I get an associates. But it can't hurt for an entry level to have it under my belt. I may not enter it until I get my bachelor's depending on what types of positions I can find that will still pay the bills with just an associates. Until I can find one, I stay in the dungeon.

And I am 200% sure that I will finish the education. I'm half way through my associates, and this is something I finally found that I truly want to do.Not only that, but it flies by. For once I actually feel like I have something to work towards and look forward to. I am looking more along the lines of a guidance counselor or occupational therapist. (Which means at LEAST a Bachelors.) 3 more years for the Bachelors from where I am now..and I'll go from there. 3 years is a blink in the grand scheme of things.

Thank you for your confidence in me, it means more than you'll ever know.

the Book of Keira said...

I think this is perfect. You are a genuinely kind hearted and giving person and that speaks so much more than anything else. Logan is growing up with an excellent influence. I really love when people choose to have a job that isn't baseless and that reaches out to others. It enriches your soul and others...

You're awesome. Congrats!!!