Saturday, July 21, 2007

You wanna stick me where?!?!

Ok so anyone who has been in SC knows that the bug and spider population is insane, and they are twice the size of the nasty little shits in MN. I'm so serious. I have never seen or even heard of a brown recluse spider until I moved to the South. And it's very possible that the night before last one fucking bit me! Yesterday when I noticed the bite, it was just a little red around the bite, and it was about the size of a quarter. Today I wake up and it was the size of a sand dollar.

Now I'm extremely allergic to mosquito bites and such, and at first just thought I got bit a couple of times and that was that. But then I go to work, and people look at it and how hard it is around the bite and how big the redness is and says, you need to go to the doctor, that looks like a spider bite, and the area around the actual bite is burning hot. It even stings just a bit. So I'm like, great. This is exactly what I needed. A massive bite, I know I'm sweet, but this is ridiculous. ;-)

Off to the doctor I go, and this is not my normal doc mind you, this is Doctor's Care (Doc in a box pretty much) and she looks at it and is like, oh, well there's no black or blue marks around it, so it probably isn't a recluse bite. She then gives me the exciting news I'm going to get a shot of antibiotic in my butt, and she's going to make a small incision in my leg to do a culture on the fluid. Oh, and while we're at it, we may as well do my tetanus shot since I have no clue when the last one I got was.

So first comes the tetanus shot. That bitch hurt! It felt like someone slugged me with a god damn sledge hammer, and then after time went on it just got worse. Next they start rubbing iodine (without even asking me if I'm allergic to it, thankfully I'm not) and tell me they're going to give a shot to numb the area. Ok, no biggie, I won't feel the cut so great. Mind you the shot of Lidocaine burns like hell going into my leg! Fan-fuckin-tastic I tell ya. Then she doesn't even cut on the actual bite site, just a little ways from it, bandages me up and gives me my antibiotic shot in the arse. Says the culture will be back in a couple days. Take the antibiotics she's prescribing me and I should be fine.

Ok, so I go back to work, and 8 hours after this little office visit, I look at my leg, and both the harder area and the red area have expanded. Shit! On top of that, my nerves are kicking, my arse, my arm, and my leg are sore, and I just barfed up my lunch when I got home! I left my general practitioner a message to call me just to see what he thinks I should do at this point, and he called me back..

Get this, the fucking bitch that gave me 2 prescriptions, cut my leg and gave me three shots overdid everything! He said even if it was a recluse bite, I wouldn't see the puss for 5-6 days, so it was unnecessary for her to cut my leg. He said just to take 1 of the antibiotics not both, and if it's worse by Monday call him. I LOVE my doctor. He is awesome. He totally calmed me down, and explained everything to me.

Great. Sore arm, sore leg, and sore arse for nothing. I'm going out to dinner now. Fuck doctors in box! I was so scared after everything, I got sick! Grrr! I HATE throwing up!

5 comments:

the Book of Keira said...

OMG.. Have you ever seen the slideshow of what brown recluse bites look like over the course of about a week? It gets soooo gross...lol.

Olivia was bit by a black widow once which was scary. I simply do NOT do spiders. Eeeek!!!

Colette said...

Yea, I everyone at work brought it upon themselves to show me pics and tell me horror stories...**update**

Meds are working, so it must not have been a recluse bite, but whatever the hell it was bit the crap outta me! =(

Brianinmpls said...

Did you take pictures?

Rocketstar said...

That sounds shitty. In Castle Rock we also have Recluses, Black Widows and Wolf Spiders, all poisenous and you wil KNOW if you are bitten.

Sorry you had to go through needless pain... but glad it wan't a Recluse bite.

Rocketstar said...

pictures would be great