Thursday, January 17, 2008

Time old cliche



Ok so everyone usually has a new year's resolution to either 1)lose weight or 2) quit smoking or some other nasty habit society frowns upon.

I on the other hand do not believe in resolutions because it is like setting yourself up for failure. You have to do something or quit something because you want to; because you need to. Whether it be for yourself or for your health or even both, when you want to change something you have to do it for the right reasons.

Recently, 4 days ago to be exact, my friend Michelle and I have made a life-style changing decision. We are going to lose weight and be a support system to each other. I'm obese compared to any medical charts though thankfully I only look "thick" according to most opinions. Michelle and I have decided to do the Weight Watchers diet. She had done it a couple of years ago and had very successful results, but then gave up on it because she didn't have much of a support system.

Since she already had the materials (the point counter/slide thingy)we opted not to pay to go to meetings, but to meet once a week for weigh-ins and follow our point guidance system. I'm not by any means trying to advertise for WeightWatchers, but I will say that so far this has been my favorite method of losing weight. I don't have to cut anything out that I don't want to, I just have to make healthier decisions.

For example, if I'm starving and all I really want is a junior cheeseburger from Wendy's, I can do that but it will take 9 points! I am currently allowed between 20-22 points a day based on my beginning weight. As I drop in pounds, so do my points. So if I want to eat that yummy cheeseburger, I have to consider anything else I've eaten that day and what I will be allowing myself for the remainder of the day. Since I know that one cheeseburger is not really going to satisfy the hunger, and it will cut me short for what I can eat for the rest of the day, I move on to other options.

On day one I weighed in at 182 ginormous pounds. (To me that is humongous). Today on day 4, I'm already at 178 pounds! 4 days=4 pounds! The greatest thing is, I haven't starved myself at all. You are supposed to eat all of your points so-to-speak because if you don't you are only hindering your weight loss abilities by slowing your metabolism down; therefore not losing weight.

I also am aware that the most rapid weight loss happens in the first few weeks. I'm prepared for it, only because I'm just thrilled enough to be losing it at all! My first weight loss goal is 10% of my weight, so aproximately 18 pounds. My lifetime goal is to be back in my healthy range of 140-146 according to what my doctor says for my height and age. So my ultimate goal is approximately 40 pounds.

So here we go! I know it's been a while since I posted, but I really have not been myself (no pun intended) for a long time. I've not been happy with myself. I love my life, don't get me wrong; even with all the bullshit that's in it reminds me I'm alive, but my appearance has brought my confidence and my overall motivation to do anything to a stand still.

So for anyone out there reading who is looking for a decent diet plan, try WeightWatchers. It's not a fad diet, and you don't have to be morbidly obese to do it. There is even online WeightWatchers where you can get the support you need for a fee. (I have yet to get to that point, because I cannot afford it.) I am so excited about this though, I felt the need to share. =) Hope all is well my blogger buddies! I will keep you posted on the pounds peeling off! =P

5 comments:

Brianinmpls said...

Congratulations:) That is wonderful:)

I am on day 17 no smoking:)

Maggie Moo said...

What's up beyoch!?!?! Holy shit did I miss you!!! :) Glad to hear you are on your way to feeling great-good job on the 4#'s!!

Rocketstar said...

Wow a new post!! ;o)

Good for you little sis, you can do it. Remember to add in some excercise, even if it is just going for a walk each night for 1/2 an hour.

Keep us up to date on your progress, it will add a little incentive because we all want you to succeed!!

Colette said...

Thanks everyone! SO far so good. Still working on shedding more. This week is finals week so it may be a few days, but not months. Promise to keep everyone updated!

the Book of Keira said...

Good luck! But don't lose too much.. I like my bitches with a little meat on em'.