Friday, April 27, 2007

Friday Funny...


Kid's Say the Damndest Things Part 1: So on my second day off of the week, a lot of times Logan and I will go to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast. He really likes the chocolate sprinkled donuts and I am usually in desperate need of caffeine. (Not unlike any other morning, but this is our little special bond-o time with just mommy and Logan.) He tells daddy (Jayk) to stay at home as we leave and that "we'll be right back, you stay there," and off we go.
I love doing this with him because it's fun one on one time with him and he is always so happy and talkative. As he eats his chocolate sprinkled donut we review our colors by naming each color of the sprinkles. He's fantastic at this and it pleases him so much that all of my attention is purely focused on him and how brilliant he is.
Here comes the first cute but funny moment this morning:
A man walks in who has a shaved head, not completely bald, like daddy just a little fuzz, and is wearing a grey t-shirt and green shorts (which is what Jayk had on before we left). He's tall but not quite as big as Jayk. Logan smiles and says, "Look mommy! It's a daddy!" I smile and tell him, "He LOOKS like daddy, but that's not daddy silly." Logan was obviously embarrassed as this was the first time I ever see him blush. The man was sweet about it and just laughed. No one is really awake at 7:30 AM over the age of 15 in this place.
We go back to naming the colors of his sprinkles. He's ecstatic and is diving face first into his donut rather than picking it up and eating it. I am purely entertained just by watching him because every time he gets chocolate on his face or hands, he asks me for the napkin to clean up. He HATES being messy. Absorbing his surroundings he’s asking me, "What's that mommy?" as he points to everything in the store. Breakfast moves on. We go round and round with posters of coffee, donuts, trash cans etc. He's just taking it all in when...
Funny moment number 2:
A man walks in with his son. Logan, who LOVES other kids smiles huge and says, "Look mommy! It's a boy!" I respond with, "Yes baby, you see another little boy with his daddy?" He responds with, "Yea mommy! It's a brown boy!" My son is three (pictured above). At this point, the man he called daddy almost shoots coffee out of his nose, and I wanted to crawl under the table and hide! The worst part of it is he keeps repeating it! "It's a brown boy mommy! Look!" I was trying so hard not to laugh, I just shoved some donut in his mouth and said, "Good job with your colors baby, but we don't say that. It's not very nice." He just looks at me so hurt and confused and says, "Ok Mommy. I'm sorry." He thought he was just going over colors still! Needless to say, the man and his son did not look upset thank goodness, but it was mommy's turn to blush!
I live in South Carolina. This is not the first time that my son has seen an African American. On the way home I try to figure out a way to explain race to my son. I still think it's hilarious, but at the same time I don't want him to think that he did something horrible by saying that. He was just simply stating a color he saw. He has African American kids in his class at school, so I know it was innocent in the way he said what he said at Dunkin Donuts.


As South Carolina was one of the Confederate states, African Americans are very sensitive here in Charleston still today. I was just fortunate that the man and his son were not the extremely sensitive type and knew that my son did not mean anything negative by what he said. I may not be so lucky next time! Any tips on how to avoid a possible confrontation next time? I'm not exaggerating; they get really pissed down here about that kind of stuff, even if it is a three year old being innocent. Another reason I really dislike the south. Ugh!
On the way home, I tried to explain to him that yes, the little boy's skin was brown however, we do not say that. He's a little boy, just like Logan and that he is just darker than us. I continue to tell him that he might make someone like the little boy sad by saying that. He just looks at me with his big blues and says, "Oh. Ok. I'm sorry mommy." He still feels as though he's done something horrible. Call my son sensitive, but I felt so bad! What do I do if something like this happens again?!
Even though it could have turned out very badly which I'm happy it didn't, I still relish these insanely humorous, innocent moments. ;)

9 comments:

Colette said...

Sorry for the lack of spacing I messed around with it a bunch to try and get spaces between paragraphs, but it only separated it into two parts. ;( I'm not awake still.. I couldn't figure it out!)

Brianinmpls said...

I love kids it is just so honest I think we are the ones who are too sensitive and could use a lesson or two

Colette said...

Brian, agreed. Too bad a lot of people don't see it that way.

the Book of Keira said...

I agree with Brian....

I read a story in one of those "Chicken soup for the soul" books once that your story reminds me of and I'll share it here but this comment will be really long...lol.

This woman and her young son were in the grocery shopping and there was a man in a wheelchair in the same aisle as them. The little boy kept pointing at the guy and yelling, "Look, Mommy!!" and the mom was really embarrassed and kept trying to hush him. The boy just kept screetching for his mom to look at the guy and his mom was trying to drag him away in humliation. Then, the boy broke free and ran to the man in the wheelchair and said to him, "You have an earring! Look, mom! Look at this guys cool earring!!!"

He hadn't even noticed that the guy was in a wheelchair or if he did, he didn't care. All he cared about was that the guy had a rock star earring...lol.

My oldest son used to describe people to me as brown, too. He'd say that he met a cool kid at school and I'd ask him to tell me about him and he'd describe him as a brown boy who liked Pokemon and playing baseball and it was all very innocent.

Olivia is into dolls and I, for some reason, don't like to buy her white dolls. She has some that other people have gotten her but I usually get her ethnic ones from other countries and with different skin tones and features.

Right now a big topic in my house with my eight year old is homosexuals. We are very open and honest with him about other people's ignorance and I'm very proud that he is so open to other people's lifestyles. Teaching my kids about humanity is my favorite thing about being a mom :-)

the Book of Keira said...

p.s. Logan is ADORABLE!

Colette said...

108- That is too cute. I too believe in the open honesty policy when it comes to answering questions. And thank you for the compliment on Logan. I think he's adorable to, but I'm just a little biased. ;-)

Mags said...

At least he didn't say:

"Look mommy! A brown sprinkle!"

or

"A chocolate boy!"

8)

Logan is a cutie!!!

Rocketstar said...

I think you did the right thing.

Colette said...

Mags: You are so right. I probably would have run out of the place with Logan under my arm!

Rocket: Thanks! I hope I did!